Friday, September 05, 2008

Friday Five: Vulnerability

Sally of RevGalBlogPals writes:

I have recently been reading a book entitled Jesus wept, it is all about vulnerability in leadership. The authors speak of how Jesus shared his earthly frustrations and vulnerabilities with a select group of people. To some he was the charismatic leader and teacher, to others words of wisdom were opened and explained and some frustrations shared, to his "inner circle of friends: Peter, James and John, he was most fully himself, and in all of these things he was open to God.

So I bring you this weeks Friday 5:

1. Is vulnerability something that comes easily to you, or are you a private person?
That's a hard one. I'm an extrovert, so a lot of people think they know me. But I tend to let people in by layers (if that makes sense) so no, vulnerability is not easy for me.

2.How important is it to keep up a professional persona in work/ ministry? I'm not a Holy Reverend Most Auspicious Preacher Lady person. In fact, I try hard not to be. But I do try to remember that, for some people, there is a certain "way" that they expect pastors to be. I try to let them down gently. Be a goofball when I'm talking about Jesus or Communion? NO! But I try to remember what my dad used to call "The 11th Commandment" - "Thou shalt not take thyself too @#$% seriously!"

3. Masks, a form of self protection discuss...
If I am feeling hurt, or if I am feeling attacked, masks are a way of self preservation. If I am tired and know that I might lash out (unjustified) they are my way of coping and not acting how I feel. And sometimes, masks help me process what's going on on the inside.

4. Who knows you warts and all?
My husband. My prayer partner Dana. And probably, my mom. As Captain Penny used to say, "you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time... but you can't fool Mom." (For those of you not from the Midwest and under 50... Captain Penny was a children's show out of Cleveland...)

5. Share a book, a prayer, a piece of music, a poem or a person that touches the deep place in your soul, and calls you to be who you are most authentically.

It's a Chris Tomlin song... it takes me back into the Creator's world... and back into a loving, affirming, strengthening relationship with my Savior... (bonus video...)

Deb

Wonderful Maker




You spread out the skies over empty space
Said "let there be light"
Into a dark and formless world Your light
was born

You spread out Your arms over empty hearts
Said "let there be light"
Into a dark and hopeless world Your Son
was born

You made the world and saw that it was good
You sent Your only son for You are good

What a wonderful Maker
What a wonderful Savior
How majestic Your whispers
And how humble Your love
With a strength like no other
And the heart of a Father
How majestic Your whispers
What a wonderful God

No eye has fully seen, how beautiful the cross
And we have only heard
The faintest whispers of how great You are

1 comment:

Sally said...

I love this Deb, and wow that song, thanks for posting.