Friday, March 19, 2010

Silence...

It's so quiet on these late night writing sessions. The house is silent. Even the cats are sleeping! Tonight I cracked my window on one of the warmest spring nights yet, just to hear the sound of life outside. After 1 a.m. even this busy metro area is pretty quiet.

And then, the more I listen I hear how it is far from "silent"!!

My family and friends know I am not a "silent" type. Some are amused at my jaunts to a silent retreat. But even those four hours of not talking are a place for God to speak -- loudly. In fact, it is in the absence of the usual sights and sounds that God speaks the loudest.

When I was on a short-term trip to Nigeria (a lifetime ago!) we had frequent power interruptions. One of my favorite things to do when that happened was to sit out on the steps of our apartment, slap mosquitos and enjoy the dark night sky. The air was humid and still. But looking up, there were layers upon layers of stars. The heavens were never so "deep" to my naked eye then they were after an hour or so of gazing upwards.

An astronomer friend told me later that it takes several minutes for the human eye to adjust to darkness. Eventually we can see, even in starlight. It just takes patience and time.

Seems to me that hearing God in the silence is pretty much the same thing...

In the starlight I see
worlds and supernovas
created by your hand
as a sparkling touch of joy


In the silence I hear
words and simple questions
reminded by your voice
that I am yours and yours alone


In the silence
and in the starlight
you are there




This reminded me of a song that is among my favorite worship songs... as I crawl into bed, it's on my heart... thought I'd share it...

No comments: