Friday, May 09, 2008

Friday Five: Gifts of the Spirit

From PresbyGal at RevGalBlogPals:

FOR PENTECOST THIS WEEKEND:
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! 16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17 " 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. 18 Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. 19 I will show wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke. 20 The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord. 21 And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.' [Acts 2:14-12]

(My personal favorite in this passage is how Peter insists the men cannot be drunk because it's only 9:00 a.m.) Anyway, it's Pentecost and my very first Friday Five! Thinking about all the gifts of the spirit and what Peter said of the "last days"......
Have you or anyone you know...


1. ...ever experienced a prophesy (vision or dream) that came true?
Yes. Personally I was prayed over and was prophesied that I would be standing and speaking "with arms raised"... and this was long before I ever thought of going back to seminary. And I have been told a prophecy for a family member, but that's not my story to tell.

2. ...dreamed of a stranger, then actually met them later? Nope.

3. ...seen a wonder in heaven? (including UFO's) Dang. And I was going to talk about this trip to Roswell... OK. Never mind.

I have seen a double rainbow. This photo was taken was in France last November. Cool, huh?

4. ...seen a "sign" on the earth?
Um. I've seen pictures of crop circles. And this sign...

5. ...experienced knowledge of another language without ever having studied it?
Well, yes, actually. When I was going on a short term mission trip, the flight attendant asked me a question in Dutch (and I do not speak any, unless it's the name of a cheese or a beer...) At the end of the conversation, she told me (in English) that my accent was very good and how long had I studied Dutch... and I had to tell her uh... never!

Bonus Question: What would a modern day news coverage of the first Pentecost have sounded like?
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream. I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family. They misunderestimated me. Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

Oh sorry. I answered the wrong question...

Oh well...

Deb

4 comments:

Lori said...

Such very cool answers! I love the stories today of how prophecies have encouraged and foretold some of you "gals" that you'd be pastors!

And a double rainbow is a gorgeous sign. Of what I don't know, but I'd take it as very good.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

We picked the same quilt for our picture. :-)

I saw a double rainbow once too, and oddly enough it was in the sky by the St. Louis arch, so that made three bows in the sky!

Tricia said...

I grew up in Roswell, and saw wonderful rainbows and sunsets on a regular basis. Is that what you were talking about? :^)

Here's something interesting we see daily from our bathroom window, in the right season when the morning sun is at the right angle:

http://jonskifarms.wordpress.com/2007/06/21/theyre-coming/

But speaking Dutch without studying it - that's cool! Had you ever studied German?

Deb said...

The only German I knew was in art songs and Beethoven. You don't get a lot of conversational German in "Du bist vie eine Blume" or "Freude, schöner Götterfunken: Tochter aus Elysium" (Well, if you said the former to a waiter, he might think it was an invitation! LOL...)

So no - it was a conversation in a language I really did not know.

God thang. Totally.