Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashes to ashes...

Ash Wednesday, today, marks the start of Lent. It is the season of reflection and remembrance on the liturgical calendar of the Passion of the Christ, culminating on Easter Sunday. It's not a regular practice (at least by that name) in my present church. However, it is something that I try to at least work into my spiritual consciousness every year.

I debated what I should "give up" or "start doing" (common ways of bringing an external meaning to a humanly constructed religious practice.) In the past, I've given up everything from chocolate to coffee to going to movies. Usually the "deprivation" isn't really that difficult, and I am remarkably good at finding another substitute as my "work-around"... It's far too easy for me to go off coffee and start drinking tea, for instance. My problem on a day-to-day basis is not as much denial as it is of balance and self discipline. It is overcompensating instead of remaining a true reflection of God and Christ, of living in the Spirit not within my own wishes and preferences.

So for this Lenten season, I am going to work at exercising a thoughtful, measured, and careful use of my time, talent and treasures. It might mean spending a day with a friend, just sharing the journey. It might mean less time of Facebook and more time face-to-face. It might mean a more consistent (weekly?) fasting regimen. It could come in the form of enjoying the pretzels I munch on as I study instead of mindlessly shoveling them in my mouth. It will mean that I don't shop unless I "need" to. It gets things off my "procrastination list." (You may call it a "DO LIST" but I have one which still has 'send out Christmas letters' on the top of it...)

So I'm attempting to be more aware, more intentional, more yielded... and less driven, less demanding, less distracted.

I'll let you know how it goes...

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Nice! This is very much where I am this Lent: show up, and be present when I do it.

Jan said...

This sounds like you are increasing your awareness of the present moment. Good intention; one I need to copy, esp. pertaining to procrastination.