Tuesday, May 02, 2006

ACK!!! Late again!!!

It was one of THOSE evenings... I got busy doing research on my next writing assignment and forgot to fix dinner!! And, it's so nice outside that no one cared or noticed, and Ken is away at prayer...

oops...

Well, dinner went into the microwave (thank heavens for my freezer cooking habit!) and we were out the door in 15 minutes. Speed pray and eat, don't talk or read... gotta get out the door to small group with the girls and not be TOO horribly late... not in a panic or mad, just laughing at myself, especially after this observation from one of the girls:

"Mom, whenever you have a new assignment, you just fall into it. It's as though we have to drag you out with ropes when we need something... Hello? Mom? we're hungry!"

Yeah. Sad but true. Which made me stop and evaluate my "need" to get things done in my pre-decided order, which might be great for me, but lousy for everyone else in the household. I hyper-focus on the "thing" that has captivated my interest. As I wrote yesterday, I choose far too often what is "urgent" vs. what is "important".

ouch...

God cares about what is "first" in my life. Activities. Actions. Words. Thoughts. People. I keep forgetting that.

Earlier in the year we studied the Wisdom literature of Solomon. One of our weekly study tasks was to write down verses (Proverbs) that spoke to us personally. I was looking over my list and found this:

The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn,
shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness;
they do not know what makes them stumble.
[Prov. 4:18-19]


I stumble more when I forget where I need to be, and who and what God asks me to focus on with my time.

I'm learning... again... the lesson of staying tuned in to the Master, not picking and choosing when I will listen to Him.

From our home to yours...
Deb

No comments: