Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Tossing Chunks...

It only took the four of us about three hours to de-ice and chip away the driveway and front steps this morning. We were going to let nature take its course and have things melt away. After all, it was only 2 or 3 inches of snow, with about 1/4 inch of ice on top. Nothing that a couple of days of 40 degree weather couldn't melt for us. Then we found out that the temp is dropping to near 0 degrees F tonight.

SOooo... with that in mind, and because none of us really and truly are in to ice sculptures, we joined the cul-de-sac shoveling party and hacked it all away. Thankfully, Beloved Bearded Spouse had seen to the pre-storm priming of the snowblower. It was slow going, but the worst of the driveway was cleared courtesy of some fossil fuel, two-cycle engine and brute force dragging the thing back and forth... We discovered a new meaning for the phrase "tossing chunks" (as in ice!) The sky was blue while we shoveled, and breeze was not too bad. By the time it was done, it was past lunch time and we are all feeling tired and a wee bit stiff tonight. Tomorrow... ouch. I would like to join the groundhog and sleep until spring.

Profound theological thoughts with this? Nope. I'm just grateful for a machine that tosses chunks, my polar fleece socks, a lap cat and the power staying on tonight...

From our home to yours...
Deb

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ever so thankful I live in the deep south....

DebD said...

We all took shifts in shoveling today. Had a large tree limb almost take out the van, fortunately the layers of snow and ice acted as a barrier and now damage (thank God!).

hugs and lots of ibuprophen!

Debbi

QuakerPastor said...

Check out the after effects of our blizzard at my place.
My brother called yesterday and said THE Ohio State University was closed for only the 3rd time in their history due to weather. I was there the last time that happened. Stay warm! peace out, QP

leah said...

N-ice blog, and I love the picture! However, as I contemplate returning to the East Coast to live (again), the recent weather in places other than Southern California makes me wonder why.