Saturday, August 04, 2007

Excuses...

We're doing this Alanis Morissette song as a special music number in the Sunday service... since I had to learn it to play keys (and sing background vocals) it has been haunting me. It's called "Excuses." Here's the chorus...

these excuses how they've served me so well
they've kept me safe. they've kept me stuck.
they've kept me locked in my own cell.
these excuses, how they're so familiar
they've kept me blocked, they've kept me small
they've kept me safe inside my shell

I have no excuse at all for waiting 25+ years to answer God's Call to the pastorate. None at all. I can try and come up with an "excuse" to hand in to the Teacher... but it's truly laughable. I might do the occasional "blame game" or joke about being "ovarian challenged"... but the bottom line was, it was easier, it was safer to stay in the familiar place, the normal place that I thought I should be in... Much MUCH harder to crack open the shell, break out of the cell.

bye-bye excuses... Jesus got ahold of my life and He won't let me go...

Just another step in the journey... (thanks for listening as I figure out the blinding glimpse of the obvious...)

Deb

1 comment:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Oh I like this! It fits all of us in some form or fashion.