Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Things moms learn...

I have the most WONDERFUL small group that I'm blessed (TOTALLY BLESSED!) to lead this year. They are all 'new' moms - moms with babies under 8 months old. They come tired, sometimes sleep-deprived, sometimes their lesson is done, and sometimes it isn't. But they come, babies in arms, to pray and study together. And I have learned so much from them!!

Recently we started talking about books and other things that we have learned from in the process of mothering. I was slightly in a pickle. CBS (Community Bible Study) doesn't like its leaders to endorse anything but the 'official' reading list that is offered at the end of the year. I could let them talk, but couldn't say too much on my personal views.

However, there are a lot of BAD, JUNKY Christian parenting books out there. REALLY, REALLY BAD books. And they have holy titles and sound so... spiritual. I can't really express this to these wonderful women. So instead, I'm going to post here on the stuff I can't talk about... And they might drop in and read this [wink wink] So...

LINKS
Here's some links that I think help give some perspective on infant sleeping, mothering, and growing kids... (Actually, there are SO MANY more good ones, but I'll just start with these...)

BOOKS
There's tons being written right now. I tried to pick the ones that I think have good information, without being crazy and locked into either end of the parenting spectrum (i.e. authoritarian, punitive parenting or loosey-goosey, touchy-feely parenting.)
  • Familes Where Grace is the Place by Jeff VanVonderen
  • Nighttime Parenting by Dr. William Sears (Actually, just about anything he and his wife write has good stuff in it.)
  • Kids are Worth it and
  • Through the Rough Times, both by Barbara Coloroso
  • Grace-Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel
  • Raising Positive Kids in a Negative World by Zig Ziglar
  • 25 Things Every New Mother Should Know by Martha Sears
  • Pick Up Your Socks...and Other Skills Growing Children Need! by Elizabeth Crary and Pati Casebolt
A wise person I know said that you weren't "done" parenting until you have met your great-grandchildren. In other words, you can't show that you have done a good job parenting until you see how your children taught their children to parent. The older my kids get, the more I realize that I have made mistakes as a mom, and what great parents God gave me! And I also realize that while there are many GOOD ways to parent, there are also many, MANY "bad" ways...

From our home to yours...
Deb

No comments: