Monday, July 07, 2008

The Shack

I didn't expect to like it. I honestly didn't. Anything that gets Kathy Lee Gifford raving? C'mon...

But... it was moving.
Touching.
Thought-provoking.
Real.

I'd encourage you to borrow or buy a copy. Think it through. And see what message you hear in its pages.

I found myself pondering the deeper questions of the faith through the allegorical story of THE SHACK more than any of the pounds of theological reading I have had to do in the last week. (Hey. That's not surprising.)

I'm sure the fundamentalists will hate it. (You'll see why when you read it...) And maybe that, in itself, is the best reason of all to pick up a copy!

The words of Psalm 130 kept coming to mind...

Out of the depths I cry to you, LORD;

Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.

If you, LORD, kept a record of sins,
Lord, who could stand?

But with you there is forgiveness,
so that we can, with reverence, serve you.

I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
and in his word I put my hope.

I wait for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.

Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
for with the LORD is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption.

He himself will redeem Israel
from all their sins.

SO if you have been "in the depths" and wondered "WHY???" I think you will find God's peace and comfort as you read...

Deb

5 comments:

seethroughfaith said...

thanks. looks interesting - but my mount toobie (To be read) is enormous right now - daren't order anything extra for a while!!!

Theresa Coleman said...

I read it too -- and enjoyed parts of it. It seemed really ... dense to me. Too much in too few inches of text. Very very meaty.

But I did enjoy it.

Sarah said...

A friend from church was raving about this book too! I'll have to check it out. And yeah, from what she told me about it, I'm sure the fundies will be jumping out of their undies. heehee

Lori said...

My mom and her friend are over the moon about this book! I get to read my mom's copy. Looking forward.

Ivy said...

We loved it. It was very thought provoking and did a great job addressing the issue of theodicy. We felt like we were looking into God's heart when his children suffer.