Saturday, March 07, 2009

International Women's Day

Sunday, March 8, 2009 is International Women's Day.

It won't be mentioned at my church. It might not be mentioned at yours either. In a way, I don't mind. I get a little tired of the "Day" concept. While it raises consciousness, it also pigeonholes the interest and action for that group in a one, or maybe two day, time period. Kind of like the Girl Scouts peddling cookies every March in our local malls, they fade from sight until the next season of Thin Mints and Samoas. (And yes. I bought my cookies from my favorite Girl Scout!)

The first women's day in 1908 wasn't really "international" but it brought 15,000 women to a march in New York City. No small shakes for a word-of-mouth event.

Since then hundreds of thousands of women have marched, met for conferences, passed referendums in boardrooms and served in the highest government leadership positions in the world. There is "access" but it is not universal. There is affirmation, but many times it comes with "strings" and a litmust test from various political factions.

Yes, we have made progress. Yes, women can vote and fully participate in their self-government. Yes, women are educated, preparing for a career that utilizes their gifts and passions. And yes, women have a voice in our culture.

And yet... I see so much undone. Even here.

Healthcare.
Maternity leave.
Childcare.
Clean water, shelter and food and clothing.
Safety.
Legal representation.
Education.

Tomorrow I hope to post a synchroblog on a woman of the Bible who has inspired me. To the unsung and unnamed heroes of Scripture, I say thanks...

No comments: