Friday, June 05, 2009

Friday Five: Moving and Changing


Sally writes:

The theme of change is dominating my thinking at the moment, this morning my husband Tim has headed off for an interview in Sheffield. The West Sheffield Methodist Circuit are looking for an Evangelism/ Mission Enabler, in may ways this would be Tim's ideal job, but we wait on God... ( if you can spare a prayer today we'd be grateful) ...Sheffield is a commutable distance from my new post as Minister in Sherburn-in Elmet and some of the surrounding villages, before Tim gets home I will have left to join the Leadership team there for an away day on Saturday, I'll be staying the night with the current Minister in Sherburn to talk over some of the practicalities of the post. ALL IS CHANGE.... and although I am looking forward to it, it is not without a sense of trepidation, as change always brings challenges. Changing location also means packing, so next month will be a month of clearing and sorting, deciding what comes and what gets left behind... So with change in mind I offer you this Friday five; ( if you've never moved here's a chance to use your imagination)




1. A big move is looming, name one thing that you could not possibly part with, it must be packed ?
A "thing"? My piano. Pain to move, though!

2. Name one thing that you would gladly leave behind...
Selected pieces of furniture which are not practical or comfortable. My dining room table and buffet, for instance.

3. How do you prepare for a move

a. practically?
I learned a trick from my mom. There was a "master" list on a clipboard. Every room had an assigned code, and every box had a number. And on the "list" there was a summary of what was in the box. Not just "kitchen" but "utensils" or "baking pans". Boxes I knew I would need earliest had big stars on them. I was not embarrassed to live on fast food and paper products for a few days.

For family items that would be needed quickly, I packed clothes and other toiletries in suitcases. (Just like a trip.) So no digging through boxes to find clothes, jackets, etc for about a week. I also included in each suitcase a towel and washcloth. Everyone had a suitcase and we lived out of the suitcase so that we were at least able to find the basic necessities.

Finally I had a "survival" housekeeping box. It had in it: toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning gloves, a few simple tools (wrench, hammer, screwdriver), a bar of soap, paper products and a set of dishtowels. Simple quick and easy set up for the stuff you need once the truck pulls away.

b. spiritually/ emotionally?
I said "good=bye" to rooms as they emptied. It was important. I needed a sense of closure and some kind of thankfulness for the place I lived. I think it made the change more bearable - it wasn't like I could go back!

4. What is the first thing you look for in a new place? Trees.

5. Do you settle in easily, or does it take time for you to find your feet in a new location? It takes me a while.

The bonus for today; a new opportunity has come up for you to spend 5 years in a new area, where would you go and why?
This is difficult because for various reasons, we need to stay where we are for about four more years minimum. I'd prefer it to be longer. So I don't really have a "want to go there" feeling about anyplace right now.

And I am really glad I am not facing a "moving experience" (that I know of, anyway!) this summer!


Deb

No comments: