Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Peace, be still...

Outdoor Labyrinth at Dayspring Retreat Center
in Germantown, Maryland




I love walking this outdoor labyrinth. It is set apart from the buildings and meeting areas. It is truly off the beaten track, away from the many paths that criss-cross through the property. Set under the tress, there is a dappled sunlight, now that the leaves have all dropped.

I also like it because the journey to the center and back is on a natural surface. It's not groomed and perfectly flat. Like life there are twists and turns and potholes. There's roots that can trip you and there's debris from the trees that you have to step over as you walk.

But as I walk it, just God and me, there is a quietness that comes over me. Step by step. God is there. And in the center, a whisper that says, "Peace, be still."

The wind whips around me. There is a chilly mist falling around me. But I am at peace.

Grace for today. Bright hope for tomorrow.
Great is thy faithfulness...

1 comment:

angela said...

That looks like a lovely place for introspection. I love a labyrinth (not the kind in Greek mythology though...) as it shows us that we better focus on One when we are doing two or more things. A study in multitasking as it were...