Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ragamuffin thoughts

He changes times and seasons...
[Daniel 2:21a]


Recently I've been reading The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. It's a favorite read and every time I pick it up there's something new and refreshing for my soul.

Last night I was reading the chapter "Cormorants and Kittiwakes." Simply put, it is a chapter of rediscovering the wonder of the Creator and Creation. Of actually walking through leaves instead of sanitizing your yard and raking and bagging them. Of watching the rain fall instead of dashing through it. Of noticing the pattern of sunlight and shade, of the rising and setting sun.

Writes Manning:
"We fail to be stretched by the magnificence of the world saturated with grace. Creation doesn't calm our troubled spirits, restore our perspective, or delight us in every part of our being. It remidns us instead of mundane chores: changing the page on teh calendar or ordering our snow tires. We must rediscover the gospel fo grace and the world of grace.

"For 'the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love and God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit' opens us to the divine spread everywhere about us, especially in the life of a loving person."
(The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, page 93.)

To be open to God's love means that we are replenished. To be open to the wonder and majesty again means that we relinquish creative control. And to be open to loving others means that sometimes we are hurt, but always, we are to love.

In this difficult patch we are in right now, I needed the reminder to look out, look up and see the Face of God. And this morning, I did...

Before burying myself in this latest paper, and later on errands, family needs, household chores, and so on, I grabbed my camera, and stepped into the back yard to greet my Creator.


Even the sparrow has found a home,and the swallow a nest for herself,
where she may have her young—a place near your altar,
O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
[Psalm 84:3]


...you are worth more than many sparrows...
[Matthew 10:31b]

Thanks be to God.

No comments: