Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not sure why...

NOTE: This "conversation" is a compilation of the things that have been said to me in the last month. The people in question didn't really want a response... they wanted to impress me (or get in a not-so-subtle dig...)

God, give me grace so that I do not develop a 'tude, nor be unable to stand for the high Calling you have placed on my life. And the rest... will get sorted out in heaven.


original post follows...



"Congrats on your graduation."
"Thanks!"

"Not that it matters. I mean, we all can study the Bible."
"You're right about that."


"I mean, you don't need a seminary degree to know what the Bible says. It's silly. All these people with degrees telling other people how to read a book!"
"...!"


"So when are you getting a real job? You know --  one that isn't just on Sundays?"
"Well, actually I..."


"You know, every minister I know just likes to use big words and impress me with the Greek. Or Hebrew. SHUH KYE NUH. There! I know Hebrew too."
"Good one."


"Yeah. See? It's just not useful information. How many times do you need THAT word when you're going to work? I mean, I'm happy for you and all, but I don't see the big deal. You know, people who graduate from seminary are so snobby. They think they know more about the Bible than the people in the church. They act so holier than thou!
"Really..."


"Yeah. I don't get why it's so important. Are any of those fancy classes worth anything? Hey, thanks for seeing my grandmother at the hospital. She's been having a hard time since my grandpa died. I think she's lonely."
"Sure. Glad to do it."


"OK. Gotta run. See ya!"


"...Sigh..."

2 comments:

angela said...

Wow, I'm shocked. You really let that person get away with talking like that? I've never been impressed with self-appointed preachers and think many times they get the interpretation all wrong and lead people the wrong way for years. When I visited churches I used to have to take a notebook so I could keep from raising my hand. Oops, maybe I'm just the opposite and still snobby.

Thanks for showing what some folks do think--I'll be aware of those phrases when they come up.

Deb said...

Hey thanks - It's a compilation of "conversations" (diatribes?) that I've gone through lately. I figure if someone is THAT touchy... well, you know.

Let grace abound...