Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Shield Your joyous ones...

Watch, O Lord,
with those who wake, or watch or weep tonight.
and give Your angels charge over those who sleep.
Tend Your sick ones, O Lord Christ.
Rest Your weary ones.
Bless Your dying ones.
Soother Your suffering ones.
Pity Your afflicted ones.
Shield Your joyous ones.
And all for Your love's sake.
Amen.
-attributed to St. Augustine of Hippo

"...Shield Your joyous ones..."

This was my prayer for a friend who had several biopsies in the last few days and who was facing multiple surgeries and cancer treatments. She is one of the most joy-filled women I know. While those of use who were waiting to see what the medical results would be (and were worrying FOR her), she was laughing, relaxed and at peace.

Some thought she was in denial. "Not at all!" she said, "I am believing that whatever the results are, they are for my best. I serve a good God, a merciful God." "Even if it's metastatic cancer?" I asked her. "Oh yes, even that."

Wow.

I prayed for God to shield this "joyous one" from any severe illness. Why? Because I see her effectiveness in our world. I have watched as she reaches out in love to those around, affirming, encouraging, and exhorting them. I have benefited personally from her wisdom and prayers. I just enjoy her! So I guess it was a selfish prayer.

When the "good news" came, I was delighted, and surprised. I asked for total health and well-being in her whole body, in fact, I BEGGED Him for it... and God said 'yes'. Why am I surprised?"

Why indeed.

No answers to the unfathomable - just thanksgiving and faith...

From our home to yours...

Deb

No comments: