Sunday, April 30, 2006

It's not a blog, it's a "Lifesong"

"May the words I say
and the things I do
make my Lifesong sing
bring a smile to You..."
[Casting Crowns]

I found it interesting when I stumbled across another blog which proclaims that it has the definitive list of "Christians who blog". Huh. I don't fit any of the uber-categories!

I'm not particularly into apologetics, nor am I writing a "metablog". While I care about the arts and being a life worker for Christ, I don't consider myself a "ministry", nor do I preach "sermons". This website declares that a Christian blog must have "compelling content". So, I looked at those blogs which supposedly DO! What I found were blogs that more resembled a Christian news ticker, republishing things I read on the front page of the paper, or in last month's Christian magazine usually with accompanying sarcastic commentary and self-righteous blather. THAT is "compelling content"? No thanks.

So, why DO I blog? Is it just for my family and friends? Not really. I could send them a daily email.

I blog because I am writing to affirm what I think is worth believing, worth living for. I blog to share the journey that I'm on, and what God is teaching me. I blog to encourage another Christian who just might stumble across my writing or a seeker who wants to stop and ponder something beyond the next material possession they will buy today. (Stranger things have happened!) I blog because there ARE more important things in this world (and the next) than politics, gas prices and techblogs. [GASP! Can I blog that? You betcha!]

I blog to share my "Lifesong". It's not an opera, it's a tone poem. And if I never make some fancy schmancy blogger's list somewhere, fine. (But they can drop in and read any time...)

The new verse in my Lifesong today is simply this: a rough application of Philippians 3...

"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward--to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."
[Phil. 3, 12-14; The Message]

Henri Nouwen in The Road to Daybreak wrote: "If I allow the urgent things to dominate my day, I will never do what is truly important and will always feel dissatisfied."

So, I'm putting behind me what would be considered urgent by some, and dealing with what is important today.

Let my Lifesong SING for You...

from our home to yours...

Deb

No comments: