Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday Five: Thankfulness

The Friday Five this week from RevGalBlog Pals is about giving thanks:
"It's that time of year. In the U.S., college students will be on their way home, traffic on the highways will be at its highest point, cooking and baking will ensue. But before the gorging and napping begins, let's take a moment to give thanks.

Please tell us five things or people for which you are thankful this year."

This is an easy one... for me anyway...

  • I'm thankful for my husband and kids. I'm thankful for my extended family, even though we spend more miles apart than together. I am blessed to have a family that not only encourages me to pursue my training and Call, but even think it's kinda "cool" (and that was from my teenager!) I am blessed that my husband and children all love God and are followers of Jesus Christ. Which leads me to...
  • I am thankful for Jesus Christ, Son of God, the Living Word, Savior, Redeemer and Friend. I can't imagine what my life would be like without His love and saving grace in my life. I would be a "bitter Mara" instead of a "Naomi," experiencing God's "pleasant" blessings in my life. Or I would be a schemer, overworked cog somewhere, burning out in my desire to be "something", instead of being content in the "someone" God has called me to be.
  • I'm thankful for the freedom of our country, that I am not (like many in our world) persecuted as I try to live out my faith in God. I am grateful for those who fought to get our religious freedom in the first place, and for those who continue to do so. I am grateful for the opportunity to write, talk and live out my faith as best I can.
  • I am thankful for inner peace. Peace that comes from God, not from politicians, through lines on a map, or from any kind of inner striving to achieve it. It is a gift from God. It is bestowed on me by His Spirit. And it is what I rest in when the unanswered questions come...
  • I am thankful for a faith community that encourages, challenges and loves me for who I am, yet believes God can do "more" in and through me. You know you are. Come claim your hug the next time we meet.

From my grateful home to yours...
Deb

3 comments:

QuakerPastor said...

--I--O !!
see my blog for allusion to favorite God and OSU story :)

Sally said...

Inner peace- I hadn't thought of that thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

Sometimes the teenagers are more sure of where we're going than we are! And those are good moments.