Sunday, November 12, 2006

Procrastination Musing...

I still have a bit to do on the paper due at midnight, but my mind needs a break to worry a bit of something else that's on my mind... I imagine someone out there Bloggo-land will not like this post... but it's time to make an honest comment or two...

This morning I was talking with a mom whose son just finished Marine bootcamp. He is an incredible young man of God, and had the grades to go to school just about anywhere - but chose instead to take the route of service to his adopted country (note - he was not born here!) We chatted about fears (deployment) and realities (he won't be home for Christmas!) She said that they had tried every which way to keep him here for the holidays, but it was not meant to be. There is nothing about his life that is his own any more. And she knew that when he signed the recruitment papers -- that their son was not just theirs any more. Then she said something very thought-provoking - "even his shirts," she said, "say U.S. Government property."

So, when I hear people nattering about "rights" and "equality" and "sexual expression" in the armed services, I scratch my head. It's a hierarchy. It's a chain-of-command thing. If you don't want to toe the line, don't join. If you want to write your own rules, consider something else besides the military! Likewise, if you aren't prepared to die, then don't sign. Yeah, I know that's cold. It's true, though. War is like that. Though I am far more of a pacifist than a warrior (if you must know), even I have figured out that there are some things in this life that require a sacrifice that I am not willing to give...

If you want to be "patriotic," then there are million other things you can do for this country that do not require joining the military. Work as a poll judge. Teach school. Be a social worker. Be a foster parent. It's not discrimination. It's reality. Not everyone fits the requirements to be a soldier/sailor.

But to those who ARE giving up everything - identity, home, family, sleep, safety and individuality -- thank you. God bless you. I'm praying for your safe return, and God's peace to prevail...


From our home to yours...
Deb

No comments: