Friday, April 20, 2007

Surprised by Joy

From the RevGals, this week's Friday Five:

Weeping may linger for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.

Psalm 30:5b
-- King David
This week I've been watching parents of the young people slain at Virgina Tech trying to make meaning out of the lives of their lost children, and each one seems to begin by focusing on something joyful about that child. It's a gift that most humans have brains wired to respond in that way. For some of us it can be harder to work our way out of dark places, but I believe joy remains the key. It is the spirit of resurrection.
Tell us about five people, places, or things that have brought surprising, healing joy into your life.

Just to be different, I'll do it in reverse order...

5. Photography: Capturing beauty in unusual (and usual) places. (I call this photo "Joy" because there it is - springing up in the hard places...)

4. The Walk to Emmaus: It's hard to describe how 72 hours can change the heart and spirit of a committed Christian. But it did and does! Tears, laughter, devotion, praise, reflection, the Eucharist, the bond of the Holy Spirit... I'm serving on a team next week and look forward to pouring out of myself for the pilgrims. It's also where I learned how to do...

3. Clowning: Becoming a "fool for Christ" and putting on the new self through Christian clowning is an amazing experience. I've been everything from a little kid to a church lady (and much wackiness in between) and known Jesus in a deeper way each time.

2. Family: I did not expect that having children and being married would bring healing to my primary (biological) relationships, but it did. Perhaps it was because I had to grow up to be a wife and mother? Dunno...

1. Worship: I've experienced it with drums in a tin roof building in Jos, in a cathedral with a pipe organ whose bass notes make your hair shake, on the side of a mountain on the Appalachian Trail, and in a movie theatre... Worship combines the things I love the most - people, music, Scripture and the Presence of God. And when God shows up, stand back!

JOYFULLY! (even with papers to finish...)
Deb

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to hear more about worship on the AT, when you have time to describe it. Good luck with papers!

QuakerPastor said...

Nice!
I LOVE your Joy photo...
Peace QP

Iris said...

I love that flower photo,too! Your girls are beautiful, btw.

Sr. Heather said...

Mmmm... what a lovely list! Thank you!

Peace,
Hedwyg

Sally said...

wonderful Deb- I love the photos- and clowning, how wonderful, have you come across Olive Drane at all?