Sally of RevGalBlogPals writes:
As I prepare this post I am aware that it will be posted on New Years Day. We stand at the beginning of 2010 looking not only at a New Year, but at a new decade full of promise and possibilities. For some of us this will be exciting, but others will approach it with trepidation and probably most of us stand on this threshold with a mix of emotions and reactions. It is at this time of year that many (British) Methodist Churches celebrate their Annual Covenant Service, a service that will include this prayer:
put me to doing, put me to suffering;
let me be employed for You, or laid aside for You,
exalted for You, or brought low for You;
let me be full, let me be empty,
let me have all things, let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal.
And now glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
You are mine and I am Yours.
May it be so forever.
Let this covenant now made on earth be fulfilled in heaven.
This prayer is said every year, and offers every member an opportunity to renew their covenant with God. This is no soft or easy prayer, it states in the company of others our willingness to worship God come what may, not that we should become doormats, but that we place God above all else. (And every year if we are honest we have to acknowledge that we fail.) With this prayer in mind I bring you this Friday Five:
1. What will you gladly leave behind in 2009? Two words: Kate Turabian.
2. What is the biggest challenge of 2010 for you? Finishing strong for my M.Div. I am so sick of school that I really am not excited about starting classes on Monday. I know I will get in the groove, but I am ready to be DONE!
3. Is there anything that you simply need to hand to God and say "all will be well, for you are with me"? Knowing where I will be a year from now in God's choice of ministry for me. I don't really know what it will look like. Being a female and ordained clergy without a denominational affiliation, there aren't any clear options as of yet. And that must be God's to direct and bring to pass.
4. If you could only achieve one thing in 2010 what would it be? Continue to build strong relationships with my husband and daughters. Anything else is gravy.
5. Post a picture, poem or song that sums up your prayer for the year ahead....
I heard your Voice
I only desire to reflect
your Words and your Beauty
to the world around me.
may it be so.