Sunday, June 04, 2006

Survey says...

...BZZZTTTTTTTTTT!!!

I tried to test out of a course this week for my fall semester in seminary. I did study, but apparently did not guess at what THEY thought were the salient points in a 500+ page textbook. I was just a few answers short of testing out of the class. So it goes...

My teenager loves it that Mom has to study too. The good news is that I don't have any classes to study for now until August. SHE has finals and a couple of papers to write. The bad news is I am still trying to win scholarships to pay for all of this...

After I got my (failing) score, I talked with Ken, my prayer partner and close friends, and they all said the same thing: "well, I guess there is someone you need to meet, or something you need to go through so you have to take this class." Yeah, I know. Not exactly comforting. I do know more than the average pewsitter about the Bible. But obviously, there are more than a few things that I've forgotten since I last took seminary classes double-digit years ago. (Yes, that would be pre-marriage and pre-kids!) Humiliating, that I have to re-take this class? No. Humbling? Perhaps. As I've thought about it, it seems to come down to a matter of obedience.

Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep His commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. Deut. 8:2-3


I have grumbled about the test, my score, etc. Grumbling around in the "desert" of my own inflated self-evaluation, until I agreed with the test's assessment: I need to review this stuff. So... I'll try again.

I won't get it right the first time, or the second time, or the fiftieth... but I'll keep trying... to listen... to hear... and yes, to obey...

From our home to yours,
Deb

No comments: