Friday, October 09, 2009

Friday Five: Special Moments

Sophia from RevGalBlogPals writes an introduction to this week's Friday Five:

This has me thinking of the special rites of passage in our lives which we participate for ourselves or in which we support and bless others: baptism, confirmation, marriage, ordination, graduation, funerals, etc. Such important days, so exciting and joyous, but also sometimes anxiety provoking or deeply painful....So, this week, please share five memories of such sacred moments with God and the holy people from your life and the lives of those you love.

1. Baby Dedications: Both of our girls were "dedicated" as infants because the church we were attending did not baptize infants. Both times a set of grandparents were present to celebrate and cherish the moment. And both times, the girls wore the christening gown of their great-grandfather! I don't have those photos scanned, but it was a remarkable moment for me of feeling rooted and grounded in my faith.

2. Baptisms: Both of our girls were baptized in their preteen years. The date and time were their choosing. Public professions of faith are important moments for all of us, whether it is baptism, confirmation, or repeating a creed.

3. Graduation: I've posted on The Johnnie's recent graduation and beginnings at St. John's College of Maryland. She's thriving and happy, and it's all good.

4. Ordination: I was surprised by the touch of God on my heart at my ordination. It was not just that it was celebrated with family and good friends, but that there was indeed a Spirit of affirmation given to me by God. As I go through various issues and struggles in living out my Call, it is something that I look back at and marvel in that strong sign of God's anointing.

5. Weddings, Funerals, Concerts and "Life Events" of various kinds: It's the ups and downs of real life that remind me I am here for the people I love "for the long haul." Celebrating new babies, tender good-byes, musical joys (and the occasional clam!), anniversaries and birthdays, etc are part of being knit together in loving relationships. We truly are not meant to go through life alone! I'm grateful for the "friends for the journey" that God has placed in my life!

9 Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 10 Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. 11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. 12 Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. 13 When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality. Romans 12:9-13 NLT


As Henry shows, sometimes, all we really need is a moment to stop and appreciate and hold the moment close...

Deb

5 comments:

altar ego said...

Oooh! My goddauaghter and her husband went to St. Johns'! I think you're right that all the "passage" moments stand alone with significance, even as the day to day moments undergird the significance of those with rites. Blessings on all your moments!

Terri said...

I've been reading your blog so long that some of your memories I remember too! (LOL) Beautiful.

Jan said...

Lovely. Thank you.

Auntie Knickers said...

Wise words about companions of the journey. Thanks!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

So well said! There is a place for tradition, cerrmony and ritual that those of not in mainline traditions sometimes miss.