Monday, October 06, 2008

Becoming Benedictine...

In my Church History class, we had to write a reflective essay on the ways that The Rule of St. Benedict could positively impact the Church today. Some of my classmates (in our on-line asynchronous discussion) were appalled because of their strong Catho-phobe stance. I really gained a lot from considering what The Rule might offer...

What first got my attention was actual a little "light reading" I'm doing -- Joan Chittister's book "Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today."* She makes a strong case for learning how to renew and rekindle the spiritual disciplines, not as "rules" but as "means" of deepening our faith and our love for God. I especially liked her admonition to modern and post-modern Christians who seem to obsess over the latest "spiritual gadgetry than numbs our confusions but never fills our spirits or frees or hearts." (*That's not "light reading?" don't laugh -- I'm in seminary -- anything that isn't a required text qualifies!)

I see a parallel - the "rule" followed to imply spiritual devotion and piety vs. today's high-guilt performance anxiety. I've been a part of the "high guilt" groups... memorize this and do that and sign here and teach that... I don't think I will ever go back! And, the subculture that seems to infect much of modern Christianity is no less bound in "rules" than the time of Benedict, however cool and trendy and open-minded we think we are.

Anyway... here's three short "rules" I'm trying to use in my faith walk...

  1. Actions vs. words:We are heard not for our much speaking, [sic] but for our purity of heart and tears of contrition” Times of silence, meditation, prayer, fasting... for me, it helps bring my heart into alignment with God's. It's a space made for a major attitude adjustment.
  2. Live unselfishly: “All things shall be common to all…” Christmas is coming. Dare I suggest a "buy-free" holiday? Will I remember that there are millions of people who are truly "needy" and there is little I really "need?" Can I continue to wrestle with this desire for "things" that replace God in my use of my time, talents and treasure??
  3. Serve willingly: “Let no one in the monastery follow his own inclinations." This isn't to say we need to get into some kind of "High Shepherding" church... or to only do the things "pastor says..." I'm not trying to campaign for demagoguery. I'm thinking about how I am unexcited about the "invisible" acts of service that no one but God knows about. The way I will find "anyone" (else) to take on a chore or (dare I say it?) head a committee. The theme song of the Church and my service in it probably shouldn't be Sinatra ("I did it MY way.")
Chittister has one more quote I'd like to offer...
“Benedictine spirituality… teaches people to see the world as good, their needs as legitimate, and human support as necessary;” it requires seeing our lives in a “wide angle lens;” we can’t separate the spiritual from the physical. Truthfully? Even though we say we believe this, we don't really live it.

thoughtfully...

Deb

1 comment:

Lisa Laree said...

Thanks for posting this, Deb. I've been rather intrigued by the Benedictine discipline since I became a fan of Brother Cadfael...which is unusual, considering I'm a sanguine who relishes spontaneous worship styles. You've reminded me that I really would like a little structure in my free-wheeling approach to things and challenged me to implement it.