Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Five: Location, Location, Location

Singing Owl from RevGalBlogPals writes:

My daughter, her husband, and their toddler, Trinity Ann, are moving from Minneapolis, Minnesota to our place. It's a long story, but the short version is that they will be loading a Ryder truck on Saturday, and on Sunday afternoon we will unload it into a storage unit in our town. They will move themselves, their two cats and their BIG dog into our place. Yes, there will be issues, but this Friday Five isn't really about that. (Prayers for jobs for them and patience for all of us are most welcome, however.) This post is about locations. My husband has lived at 64 addresses in his life so far (16 with me) and he suggested the topic since we have moving trucks on our minds.
Therefore, tell us about the five favorite places you have lived in your lifetime. What did you like? What kind of place was it? Anything special happen there?

I'll go in reverse order, just to be different...

#5: Rock Hill, South Carolina
I was in elementary school and junior high school, and it was the segregated South in the 60s. So the images I have are a bit blended over time from history books and conversations I have had with adults in my family since that time. But it was a place where I knew I was loved. And so I guess I want to remember that part of it. I am not proud of the racism that existed at that time. As a child, I didn't really know or understand it. But I remember my parents not tolerating any rude or racist remarks. Ever.

#4: Jos, Nigeria
I did a short-term missions stint in the mid 80s there. I don't know as I was effective, necessarily. But I learned a lot about myself and about the mission field. And it helps me to pray more consistently for people I know who are willingly doing life in a cross-cultural setting.

#3: Miami, Florida
I hate heat, humidity and big bugs. Oh, and I don't like crowded beaches. So why would I live there? Simple. Graduate scholarship. But it was a lovely place and I first got the "bug" for ministry there. So that's not all bad.

#2: Suburbia, Maryland
What can I say? I'm here now. Our kids were born here. My beloved and I have been married 21 years and have lived here the whole time. We're balancing life, the universe and everything... and there's always something to do. I do get a LEETLE weary of the political chatter, but it is what it is!

#1: Columbus, Ohio
Need I say more???GO BUCKS!!!

And now.... back to class!!

Deb

No comments: