Thursday, March 15, 2007

Being Salt...

I took these photos when we visited the "Giant's Causeway" in County Antrim, N. Ireland. It is one of those natural phenomena that you read about, but words can not really explain its beauty. Its magnificence has to be experienced, and you can only begin to see it when you stand at the top of the cliff (right) and then hike down to the the bottom (below) of this huge basalt stone formation.

The hexagonal stones, formed so long ago, created a series of stepping stones from the ridge down to the sea. The day we were there the sun, breeze and salt air made it just about perfect. (Ireland - sun and no rain? Go figure...)

As I stepped from stone to stone, slowly working my way out and across the formation, I kept thinking in wonder, "Lord, You were here when these stones were made... You were here when the cliffs were revealed as the dirt surrounding them washed away. You were here..."

The stones themselves have changed over time. Their basic shape remains, but they have become weathered and smooth. The tides pound their edges, softening the angles. The lower ones, because of the wind and the waves, have moss and algae on them.

We were not alone during our visit. Bus after bus chugged down the hill, releasing passengers to clamber around the rocks. Birds and the occasional gull and falcon soared over us.

But my favorite discovery was in the windward side of the rocks. Down low, close to sea level, I found a place where the sea water had evaporated, and all that was left was the salt... It was crusty, astringent to my finger tips (and yes, I tasted it - it was salty!)


All that was left was the salt...

When it comes down to it, that's all that I want "left" of me - His Saltiness! The rest of me I hope is evaporating away, and leaving less and less Deb, and more of Jesus for you to see, touch, know and hear...

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."
"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
[Luke 14:26-27, 34-35]
Yes. Sounds good. A Salty Deb...

She who has ears is working on hearing...

Deb

No comments: