Thursday, February 19, 2009

Background Music


I'm working on a paper today, which is not my first choice with the weather warming up and the sun shining. But time is going to get away from me if I don't start hacking away at the research. In the background, I have Pandora cranking out an unlikely mix of music. (I have 14 saved "stations" from classical to jazz to Christian to harp, currently set to "Quickmix" - the most random "random" playlist ever!)

I just heard a series of Chopin Preludes played by Artur Rubenstein. My mind flashed back to junior high when we went to hear him play at a concert in our hometown. My piano teacher was one of the hostesses for a reception for him afterwards. I don't remember much about the concert, other than it was brilliant. What I remember is shaking his hand at the reception. My piano hands, relatively strong for my age, were completely engulfed in the massive muscle and thickness of his. With a polite bow, he released my hand to greet the next guest.

I can hear recordings of his music all the time. But I will never be able to recapture the impression of that one handshake.

Deb


2 comments:

Corgihound said...

This Ohio "Buckeye" had the priviledge to see Rubinstein perform twice, in Cleveland, back in the 1970's! Alas, never got close enough for a "handshake!" What an experience it must have been for you, at that age! And, of course, we still have his artistry widely available, thanks to recordings! Thanks for the nice thoughts!

Jonathan Cahill
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/HomageToArthurRubinstein/

Deb said...

It was an amazing experience! I also appreciate that in his artistry and emotion, he doesn't weave and bob on the piano bench like he's about to faint, and he doesn't flap his hands around. Yet you feel and hear the emotion in his playing.
:)
Thanks for visiting!

Deb