Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Five: Fork in the Road

Singing Owl from RevGals writes:

I am at a life-changing juncture. I do not know which way I will go, but I have been thinking about the times, people and events that changed my life (for good or ill) in significant ways. For today's Friday Five, share with us five "fork-in-the-road" events, or persons, or choices. And how did life change after these forks in the road?


1. Family moves - from Ohio to South Carolina to Ohio again: This allowed me to experience life in two very different places! The Piedmont area of South Carolina in the late 60s, early 70s was probably much harder on my parents than on me. I realize now that they shielded us from a lot of the nasty stuff of that era. However, the death of my oldest sibling resulted in my parents to move back to Ohio to be near their elderly parents. The public schools were certainly better in Ohio, but it was just trading one kind of conservatism for another.

2. College: I probably made my parents crazy, but I only applied to one college. ONE. It never occurred to me that I might not get in. Unlike many of my friends, I finished in the major I started, a double major in vocal and instrumental music education. My choice of college drove other choices: proximity to home, joining a sorority, making the marching band, three bowl games, returning to church, job searches... But no matter where I go, I'm still and always a BUCKEYE!

3. First Job: I graduated just as music education in Ohio was being gutted by budget cuts. Talk about bad timing. I ended up with a teaching job in a rural school district that cared more about football than music, more about the start of deer hunting season than concerts. I can honestly say I stunk as a teacher. Which led me to apply to...

4. Graduate School: I ended up at University of Miami because they offered me a full ride. I learned that I really REALLY like four seasons and hate palmetto bugs. The program was challenging and rewarding (Music Therapy). And, though the friendships were intense at the time, I have not really kept up with anyone from Miami since I moved away. In order to finish my master's I had to do a six month internship, which is how I ended up in Bloomfield, New Jersey! Yes. A transplanted Buckeye moved to Florida, then New Jersey. I finished my internship in an economic downturn so there were no jobs in my field ANYWHERE. I took a job at a missions agency so that I could live near a serious boyfriend, who dumped me. (In hindsight? It's all good! Really.)

5. Marriage:
Two jobs later, working as a music therapist, after a broken engagement from another poor excuse for a male, (I'm being kind...) I met my future husband at a friend's wedding. A year and a week after that, we are married and move to Maryland. Twenty-two years later, we're still married, still love each other and I'm a year out from finishing my M.Div.

Now, tell me how a "Career Path" would have foreseen all this??? Somehow, I think I found a SPORK in the road instead. It's been less transparent, more quirky, and completely at the discretion of God.

What's next? No. Clue. First I need money for the last year of grad. school... and from there... I walk by faith!

I walk by faith, each step by faith
To live by faith, I put my trust in You.
I walk by faith, each step by faith
To live by faith, I put my trust in You.

Every step I take is a step of faith
No weapon formed against me shall prosper
And every prayer I make is a prayer of faith
And if my God is for me
Then who can be against me?

Words and Music by Chris Falson.
Copyright (c) 1991 Seam of Gold. All rights reserved

11 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Wow! Great play! (I love the Spork in the road...)

Di said...

This is a really neat play, thanks!

Sally said...

wow some huge decisions there, praying that you get the money for grad school

altar ego said...

I'd love to hear the music you would write (or choose as accompaniment) for your journey thus far. And as for what's next, that's the beauty of it all. Thank God for grace. Prayers for funding your final year.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Wow! Number 4 and 5 made me laugh. "Career path"--what is that, exactly? ;-)

Auntie Knickers said...

Great play, inventive, hope all works out well for finishing school etc.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

What a wonderful journey with God writing straight with crooked lines....Thank you for the hymn, too. Speaks to my heart as I ponder my own unusual path.

Prayers for that funding.

RevDrKate said...

Yes indeed...what is this career path stuff of which people speak? Great play, great adventure of life.

Jan said...

So interesting. Your spork is wonderful!!

Barbara B. said...

Spork in the road -- I like that! :)

Jennifer said...

Your sporks are a symphony!