Friday, May 18, 2007

Friday Five:Big Event Edition

Songbird wrote:
Did you know that the major purpose for forming a non-profit, RevGalBlogPals, Inc., was to be able to attract grant support for a large scale RevGalBlogPal meetup? My dream from the beginning has been attracting financial support that would allow as many of our bloggers to be together as possible.

RGBP, Inc. now has a planning committee, and we are in the early stages of planning the RevGalBlogPal Big Event. What, When, Where and Who are all on the table at the moment. In that spirit, I bring you the Big Event Friday Five.


1. What would the meeting be like? (Continuing Ed? Retreat? Outside Speakers? Interest Groups? Workshops? Hot Stone Massages? Pedicures? Glorified Slumber Party?)
Worship. Laughter. Brainstorming. Listening. Why bring in outside speakers when there is so much we don't get to hear from each other? I'd love to hear a Christian contemporary singer like Sara Groves or Ginny Owens. If you felt an outside speaker was essential, I'd love to hear Mimi Haddad from Christians for Biblical Equality, or Carrie Miles or any number of CBEs writers and authors!

2. When in 2008 might you be able to attend? January? Shortly after Easter? Summer? Fall? Some other time?
Beginning of the semester only. By the time we hit mid-terms and end-of-term, I am a hermit.

3. Where would your dream meeting location be? (Urban Hotel? Rural Retreat Center? New England Camp? Southwestern Fantasy Hotel? Far away from civilization? Nearby Outlets or Really Great Thrift Stores?)
Well, I'm a beach person. However, those areas are notoriously expensive. Not too far from a major airport hub since I would imagine most of us would fly. Maybe a beach resort off-season would be feasible (i.e. the beach in January would be cheaper than Denver!)

4. Who would make a great keynote speaker? (That's if #1 leads us in that direction.)
One of our matriarchs. Or one of our daughtriarchs.

5. Did I leave out something you want to suggest?
Please, PLEASE don't make it into a strident female fest. I was not happy with a recent event that I promoted others to attend (a breast-feeding advocacy "feed in" on capitol hill) when the voices got shrill and finger-pointing. Bring in politics (public or religious) and I'm not gonna be there.

13 comments:

QuakerPastor said...

I hear ya about #5 Deb, and concur...
Peace out, QP

Jody Harrington said...

Agree with #5, but don't think this group is likely go in that direction.

Sally said...

yay another vote for the beach!!! ... also with you on no 5!

revhipchick said...

You and QP were thinking practical! I love your idea about the beach during the off season! That is a fabulous idea!

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

The idea of bringing in a musician or musicians for a concert is superb, Deb. I'd like that much better than a keynote speaker of any kind.

Unknown said...

Very good play! I love Sarah Groves.

No fingerpointing, etc here either. I want to have agood fun.

Thanks for metioning school, got to remember our students.

leah said...

Deb, I'm with you and QP on #5, thanks.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

Amen sister to #5! and oh yeah Ginny Owens would be soooo good. The beach in winter... hmmmm?

Unknown said...

I had no idea we had such a reputation for strident finger pointing that it needed to be a concern. Although I suppose if we were crashed by a group militant against the ordination of women, I could be tempted.

Deb said...

No, you misunderstand me completely. Revgals don't necessarily fingerpoint ... it is the sometimes strident, angry voices of women who are overly defensive that make it hard. The voices that insist there is only one way to talk about or view things... and get defensively angry at people who don't lockstep think the way "they" do - and the "they" can be at either end of the militant spectrum.

Clear as mud?

d

DogBlogger said...

Good play, Deb. I like the musician idea especially.

Cathy said...

How come I can't comment on your above blog on bras and underwear and purses??? :)

Deb said...

My bad. I clicked on the wrong thing on the Posts options...

It's fixed. Comment away!
deb
(Who had FAR too much fun finding just the right pictures for that post!)