Tuesday, May 29, 2007

GOD is doing a new thing....


A few years ago I dug up a "start" of peonies that were planted probably fifty years ago on my grandparents' farm. They have not done very well in previous years. This year, they are thriving and knocking me out with their vigorous growth. Since early May I have been waiting for them to bloom... six buds set on and no late frost came to wipe them out!

FINALLY!!! The peonies finally busted open this week. They've been holding their tight-fisted heads of buds for what seems like forever. On Saturday morning, the first one popped. Just when I thought they could not open any more, or smell more sweetly, they expanded even more in the warmth of a lovely Sunday afternoon.

Then I read these verses this morning in Isaiah 43:18-19

"Forget about what's happened;
don't keep going over old history.
Be alert, be present. I'm about to do something brand-new.
It's bursting out! Don't you see it?
There it is! I'm making a road through the desert,
rivers in the badlands."
OK, OK, I'm a slow learner, Lord.... but I think I'm getting it!!!

I still don't exactly understand what is going on in my life... I still have questions... but I am watching things unfold in an attitude of faith. And, as I wait, I keep getting these little reminders of the power and beauty of my Creator and my Savior. Stuff will burst open before me as I watch and wait... sometimes longer than I think is necessary.

Hmmmm.... why do I think I know best?

Aaron Shust wrote a song called "My Savior, My God" and it has been my theme song this week. It's where I'm living...

Deb

===============

I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned
I only know at His right hand
Stands one who is my Savior
I take Him at His word and deed
Christ died to save me; this I read
And in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my savior
That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange, so once did I
Before I knew my Savior

(Chorus)
My Savior loves, My Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God: He was, my God; He is
My God is always gonna be

Yes, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace from this spring;
That He who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Savior
That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange, so once did I
Before I knew my Savior.

Aaron Shust - My Savior My God
From the album Anything Worth Saying


7 comments:

DebD said...

I received two peonies from my wonderful MIL's garden several years ago. It took a good 2-3 years for them to come into their own. Then, I had to move them and (of course) the one I really liked didn't make it. Your's is very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I like that song, thanks for reminding me...I haven't heard it in a while.

Sally said...

See God is doing a new thing- wonderful, wonderful... :-)

Terri said...

I love peonies. Ours are just about to burst open...probably by this weekend. They grow in our garden where we hold our summer outdoor services, but sadly they are usually gone before we move outdoors....also growing in our garden, iris's and a lovely statue of Jesus with children. So it would be wonderful if we were outdoors for the blooming of the peonies. Maybe I just need to take a picture of them.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and faithful thoughts, Deb - I'm not a plant person so I forget to look for GOd there - thanks for the heads-up as Spring is springing -

MrReRe said...

You mentioned that song to me once before and I think it's quite timely now for me in my own life. Thanks for reminding me. Things here are starting to take a turn for good but still not looking all the way up. You can follow the adventure at jeffrezer.blogspot.com. Miss you guys. Have Ken drink a Loose Cannon for me. -- J

Sarah said...

Thanks for that deb...I miss you. Thanks for the encouragement even from far away! The scripture was comforting...I can always use a reminder of how God is always at work in all of us in one way or another. :) Love and miss you!
FYI...been to Graeter's. Yummmmm. I had the Buckeye Blast!