Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Values statements

I have to present some "Values Statements" for my Church Admin class... (Help me, Lord, only four days to get this done...)

SOooo with some humility and a beg for kindness... feel free to read over them and give me some feedback. (If you know me IRL you can fire me an email instead of posting comments...)

A caveat -I can only have 6-8 statements and they should encompass personal and professional values...

  • I value the Bible as God’s Living Word for its application to contemporary discipleship, and the truths of historical Christianity for the salvation of a rootless, contemporary society. (1 John 5:1-5; 2 Timothy 1:13-14; Joshua 1:8)
  • I value the full expression of emotions in those around me, and I desire to nurture emotional well-being in those with whom I live and work by representing the love, compassion, empathy, fairness, caring and respect extended to me by Jesus Christ. (Philippians 2:1-4; Titus 1:7-8)
  • I value a life that strives to know and live in the fullness of God’s love for me, is reflected in a living, breathing, and growing relationship with my Father God, and that testifies to the hope of God’s kingdom on earth and yet to come. (Matthew 6:31-33; Psalm 42:7-8; Romans 8:15-16; 1 John 3:2; Psalm 23:4; Isaiah 40:1-2a; Revelation 11:15b)
  • I value dependence on the Holy Spirit to transform and remold me into the image of Christ and to empower the use of my spiritual gifts in my home, church, community and world. (2 Corinthians 3:18; Romans 12:4-5)
  • I value authentic, caring, praying, healthy and healing relationships with other believers who are also committed to serving the people of our city by promoting justice, by caring for the poor, disadvantaged, and hurting, and by acting as a change agent concerning injustice in our community. (Romans 12:9-10; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Ephesians 4:15-16; Psalm 68:5-6; Isaiah 61:1-2a)
  • I value a lifestyle which does not value possessions over people, and which is evidenced by a balanced approach to giving, saving and spending my financial resources. (Deuteronomy 8:17-18; Proverbs 21:20; Proverbs 6:6-8; Matthew 6:19-21; 2 Timothy 3:1-5)
There. Fire when ready...

Deb

4 comments:

Sally said...

Love what you have written- is this an assignment with a required word count, do you have to explain your choices???

Deb said...

It has to fit on one page with a header etc so yes there are limits. Values statements generally aren't explained too much. (I was afraid I was TOO wordy!) Thanks...
d

Diane M. Roth said...

I never had to do this, so thought-provoking. I like it!

Terri said...

Well thought out and connected to scripture which serves to reinforce your value statement #1. Articulate and good use of language to reflect an openess and contemporary flavor that is grounded and not wobbly. By that I mean contemporary thought is sometimes accused of being loosey goosey anything goes. But these statements are clear and yet show an engagement with our world (ie contemporary). Good job! (and yikes, what an assignment, I never had to do something like this either...).