Monday, December 01, 2008

Advent Retreat Part 2

Part 2 of the RevGals Advent mini-retreat...

"And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, according to the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham and to his descendants forever." (Luke 1:47-55, NRSV)


The Lord has used his powerful arm
to scatter those who are proud.
He drags strong rulers from their thrones
and puts humble people in places of power.
God gives the hungry good things to eat,
and sends the rich away with nothing.

(Luke 1:51-53, The Message)

Songbird writes:
"But perhaps being scattered and disturbed means leaving those assumed comforts behind. God’s joyful world to come is not about malls and sales or success and victory. God’s joyful world to come will disturb us, as surely as a baby’s cry wakes us in the night and demands our attention."

For Reflection
1. What demands your attention in this Advent season?
2. What in your life needs to be scattered by God's arm?
3. What brings you joy?

-------------o-------------

What "demands" my attention is not necessarily what is most urgent, most important, or most holy. My life, with its many scattered responsibilities, keeps me in constant re-assessment mode.
DO... this?
HELP... her?
GO... where?
WRITE... what?


God's powerful arm must scatter the "pride" factor that keeps me from hearing, obeying and healing in the Presence of God. That little "Me-Do-Myself" toddler inside of me forgets -- it's God's Power that does it anyway.

But as I think of letting God "scatter" the tasks and attitudes that are out of place, I think of that elementary school math lesson my kids had on "scatter plots" - a picture of data that isn't neat and tidy, but kind of a creative messiness.

And I'm thinking... hmmmm.... messiness....

There's the problem! I don't like "messy." And yet, it's the unpredictable, the unplanned, the amazing MESSINESS of life where I truly find my joy!

Because from my perspective, when it just looks like a "moosh of dots" (that's a technical mathematics term, ya know)... from God's perspective, in 3-D, it looks lovely, systematic and all part of The Plan.

Wow.
How very much like God...

Deb

2 comments:

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

thanks for the introduction to "scatterplots." You're right - it does look just like God's work :)

Unknown said...

I'll be considering that "moosh of dots," Deb.