Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mark in one sitting (#3)

Week 3:
I spent alot of time re-reading the story in Mark 6 where Jesus walks on the water. Part of the reason was because I had an assignment...

Today was my turn to lead the Bible story part of the in-church "Power Lab" experience. And the kids "walked on the water." (A bin filled with 24 boxes of cornstarch and just enough water to make a "solid" goo. Reedy Girl, The Harpist and JenB ROCK by the way - they mixed it together by HAND!!!) The kids actually walked across the bin full of goo and didn't sink... their faces were priceless.

Mark 6:45-52 [The Message]
As soon as the meal was finished, Jesus insisted that the disciples get in the boat and go on ahead across to Bethsaida while he dismissed the congregation. After sending them off, he climbed a mountain to pray.

Late at night, the boat was far out at sea; Jesus was still by himself on land. He could see his men struggling with the oars, the wind having come up against them. At about four o'clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them, walking on the sea. He intended to go right by them. But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and screamed, scared out of their wits.

Jesus was quick to comfort them: "Courage! It's me. Don't be afraid." As soon as he climbed into the boat, the wind died down. They were stunned, shaking their heads, wondering what was going on. They didn't understand what he had done at the supper. None of this had yet penetrated their hearts.

As soon as the disciples see that it is Jesus, and they hear his voice, they were not afraid. The walking on the water part always intrigued me. I still have visions from elementary school of the flannel graph Bible storyteller making the felt Jesus "walk" over to the boat. I can even imagine what it would be like to see someone come over to the boat at night. (Uh... yeah. I would be at least surprised, if not creeped out!)

Walking on the water... what a cool thing! So it was neat to read this story. "God can do the impossible." ...but then I realized there was an "impossible" something that had nothing to do with Jesus on the water, and had everything to do with the people in the boat. Then the last part of
this passage hit me...
They were stunned, shaking their heads, wondering what was going on. They didn't understand what he had done at the supper. None of this had yet penetrated their hearts.
I don't want that to be me!


There's a lot that God does that I don't understand. There's a lot that can terrify me, or at least give me a huge case of the butterflies... To say that I have "a few unanswered questions" is a bit of an understatement!!!

But... I don't want what God has done to not penetrate my heart. I think about what I've learned. What I've seen God do in my own life. I have watched as "impossible" things happen. I've wondered at the way things work out, especially without my help.

Even if I don't understand... I want what God is doing in me to penetrate my heart!

I want to be a changed woman.

One waterlogged step at a time...

Deb




No comments: