Friday, September 25, 2009

Being measured with my own yardstick...

I am writing sermons (school sermons) for an upcoming class. As I have been praying about what to preach on, God keeps bringing me life lessons on having a critical spirit, and on being judgmental. I desperately tried avoiding preaching on the topic since I know full well that it means I have to "preach it to myself" first. And I didn't want to go there.

However, for various reasons, God is impressing on me the need to face it. SOooooo -- the first of my sermons for modular week will be on Matthew 7:1-6 [TNIV]

1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in someone else's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from the other person's eye.

6 "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Judmentalism is at an all-time high right now, in every quadrant of politics, at every red carpet event. People get paid to make snarky comments, and audiences love it. (I should know -- I love repeating them!)

This was not what I wanted to focus on, but it's pretty clear it's where God wants me to do some serious "interior remodeling."

ouch.

Deb

2 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Ouch is right, dear sister. I just made an appt for confession before my reconsecration and first profession in a couple of weeks at our Synod....And, quelle surprise, this very issue is much on my mind and heart.

Let's pray for each other!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.