Friday, September 04, 2009

Recharged/Recharging Friday Five


Sally from RevGals writes:

A few weeks ago my lap-top battery died, suddenly I found myself looking at a blank screen and was rather relieved to find that it was only the battery and not the whole computer that had failed. This morning a new battery arrived in the post, and suddenly I am mobile again!

After a week with what feels like wall to wall meetings, and Synod looming on the horizon for tomorrow I find myself pondering my own need to recharge my batteries. This afternoon Tim and I are setting off to explore the countryside around our new home, I always find that walking in the fresh air away from phones and e-mails recharges me. But that is not the only thing that restores my soul, so do some people, books, pieces of music etc....

So I wonder what/ who gives you energy?


1. Is there a person who encourages and uplifts you, whose company you seek when you are feeling low?
Either my husband or my prayer partner, D. Either one knows me well, accepts me as I am, and helps me to see the "God-adventure" side of my circumstances. Also my family (my kids) and my mom and sibs. Usually I need to be reminded that I need to REST. There are days I do a good job of chilling. And then there are days where I can't find the "off" switch for my brain. My husband and I are opposites, so it is a real God-gift that his energy level and temperament remind me that I don't have to choose to go 100 mph, 18 hours a day!

2. How about a piece of music that either invigorates or relaxes you?
I'm a musician... the music that lifts me really depends. If I need a quiet space, then it may be Celtic harp. If I need motivation to get moving, then it can be anything from Bach to Rock. (And when I travel to other RevGals to read their blog on this, I'll probably think "ooohhh!! I like that piece too!" )

3. Which book of the Bible do you most readily turn to for refreshment and encouragement? Is there a particular story that brings you hope?
I tend towards the Gospels. Since I have a special acquaintanceship with Mark, I will go read it frequently, but I also love reading Isaiah and Jeremiah, and Colossians. Leviticus, not so much.

4. A bracing walk or a cosy fireside?
Ummm.... depends on how cold it is outside!

5. Are you feeling refreshed and restored at the moment or in need of recharging? Write a prayer or a prayer request to finish this weeks Friday Five....
I'm feeling very loved and prayed for at the moment. Prayers for me as I struggle with Greek this semester would be appreciated. I just don't get languages naturally and I find them very frustrating.

Peace-
Deb

5 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Great play, Deb! Lifting up a quick prayer for your Greek studies right now...

RevDrKate said...

eeek...Greek! Indded, prayers for that.

altar ego said...

Glad you're feeling the love, Deb, so three cheers for that. Adding my prayers for the challenge of Greek. Never had the, uh, pleasure!

Di said...

I'm laughing at the omission of Leviticus-- nice play!

Barbara B. said...

Wow, Greek WOULD be challenging! Prayers sound like a good idea for that! :)