Thursday, September 03, 2009

U.... U... U...


I need You, you you...

I can't get the BLUES BROTHERS song out of my mind!!! But off we go on today's Alphabetic blogging... U is for...

U2... Some of their songs, not so much. But many of them speak volumes to me about being an authentic "world Christian." Take a spin through their discography (there's too many to mention) and see what you think.

Utensils... Let me explain! The right kitchen tool saves a lot of time in the kitchen, which is not my favorite place to be! Having a serrated knife, or my favorite "tomato knife" (if you have one, you know what I mean!). And some of my most treasured ones are hand-me-downs from my grandmothers' kitchens. The best nutmeg grinder I will ever find, for instance, came from one of my grandmas!

Un-scheduled... When I have the time to "do nothing" it's such a nice relief. I am trying to build more of an "un-schedule" this year, so tha tunless I have a test or something that is due THAT evening, I sign off my computer to be available for the unscheduled family times I'm needed.

Understanding... taking the time to hear and be heard is a blessing in and of itself. So often the assumptions we hold are simply not valid. And many times they are skewed by politics, economics or culture. Cultivating a deep understanding of others is part of my DNA. I have been learning how to release long-held opinoins and suspend judgments. Every time I do, I am blessed.

Uncles and aunts... growing up in a large family, I had the additional benefit of having numerous uncles and aunts, great-uncles and great-aunts. There is a sense of rootedness that comes from being connected to my family tree. I try to extend that same sense to my kids, though we do not get to see extended family nearly often enough.

Stopping there for now...
Deb

2 comments:

Terri said...

U have offered a lovely reflection on U...(and yeah, now I have a Blues Brothers ear worm....LOL)

DogBlogger said...

Oh, what a nice "u" list. Thanks.
(and thanks for the Blues Brothers reference, too!)