Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Why "unfinished" ?

Someone asked me recently why I titled my blog "Another Unfinished Symphony." I guess I have a love of things that aren't perfect, aren't filed, categorized and broken down into 60 nanosecond steps. I care for people, I don't "manage" them. I listen to stories, I don't "catalogue" them. And I really don't give a frip about "best practices" which are about saving money, not serving.

But that's just me...

So when I was trying to come up with something that could represent the ongoing saga, the timeless tale (hmmm... what other drivel can I rip off?) of Deb.... I was at a loss.

My iTunes was on "shuffle mode" as usual, and it began to play Franz Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. (# 8 in B minor, for you music-holics.) And it just seemed to work. There's a lot I haven't finished.

For instance,
- a quilt.
- cross-stitch projects.
- mending.
- laundry. Always laundry.
- the research that covers my desk and clutters my thoughts.
- weeding.
- putting photos in an album... since forever.

What gets done instead?
- chauffeuring
- listening to friends
- a truckload of reading
- Facebook/blog and other black holes of time wasting!
- Family
- prayer, writing, procrastinating.
- meals, cleaning, etc.
- serving on a Chrysalis or a Kairos Outside team
- small group, friends, etc.

I'm not complaining. I make choices on how I spend my days, and many times there isn't extra seconds to do those "other" things. But it's just a reality that everything does not get done. As as I know the only Person who ever finished things... was God. The rest of us have forever to learn how to care for what God created.

So I leave you with a bit a classical music, to run errands, chauffeur my favorite oboeist, and to ponder... what have you left unfinished that you might complete today?


No comments: