Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Spiritual dusting

My morning Scripture readings are in The Message. I chose this paraphrase because so much of my school assignments and so on are done with either NASB (for technical analysis) or NIV (for preaching/teaching.) It seems that whenever I read devotionally in one of those versions, I get stuck in "divinity student mode." Devotionally, I need to be in "daughter of God" mode. (If you've been through the coursework, you know what I mean!)

Today as I read in 1 Timothy 4, I came across this...

Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity. Stay at your post reading Scripture, giving counsel, teaching. And that special gift of ministry you were given when the leaders of the church laid hands on you and prayed—keep that dusted off and in use.

Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them. The people will all see you mature right before their eyes! Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don't be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation. [The Message- 1 Timothy 4:12b-16]

One of the things that God consistently does is to bring me into situations where I have opportunity to "keep the dust off." I was reminded this last weekend how important it is to keep the spiritual gifts entrusted to me sharpened and at the ready. And even more important than that, to cultivate them in the people I pray for and lead.

When I am obedient, God does amazing things. It really is a matter of staying focused and not being diverted from what God asks me to do...

As I finish my education and go where God sends, I want to "keep the dust off"...

No comments: